Monday, August 11, 2008

The First Day of School


*****

It's the first day of school and I'm up at four thirty in the morning, thanks to the toddler waking up, soaked through his diaper, shirt, and sheets. So much for getting potty training started! Of course I was sleeping restlessly anyway, thinking about my students and our activities for the first week. Being at a new school means I'm not only getting to know a new group of five and six year olds (their parents too), but new colleagues who will interact with my students daily for music, art, P.E., library, etc. Are the teachers used to kindergarten students? Do they enjoy kindergarten students? How will they take me staying with my students for this first week, observing in their classrooms? Good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts...breathe.

*****









Kissing hands~ basic sugar cookies with a chocolate kiss added immediatly after the cookies come out of the oven. The hand shaped cookie cutter looks a little odd, perhaps the cookies do too, but the story is sweet, and in the past my students have enjoyed having this special snack, taking home a cookie for parents at the end of the day too. I even have a little silver hand brooch with a heart in the middle and dangly charms that I wear on the first day. Have I mentioned how good it is to be back into teacher fashion?

*****

As a special gift, I made each of my kindergarten colleagues a banner/bunting using paper in basic colors and patterns, ribbon and buttons. As most kindergarten classrooms teach "colors" or have Colors as a curriculum unit, I thought it would be a great classroom decor item that we could use on bulletin boards or hang above a special center or display.









I'll photograph mine once I have it hung in the classroom so you can see the whole thing!

10 comments:

  1. You are so smart and kind ! I cant' wait each day to see what you have planned! About what the teachers will think when you stay with the kiddos for the first week- I personally think they will be shocked because most teachers use that as a time to get away from the kids regardless of the insecurities the kids might feel. I think it is cool. I also heard a hint of " they better treat my kids the way I know they should be treated" in your voice! :) Your kids are lucky! Have a wonderful first day. Where does your little one go all day? I bet his caregiver would love one of those little banner things you made too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those cookies! Too cute! I just love your classroom, by the way. So spacious and light!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sheryl! We had a GREAT first day today- the kids were enthusiastic, the parents were supportive, and my colleagues really tried to accommodate our free spirited personalities!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man! I am totally going to live through you. I became a high school teacher, should have picked Kindergarten instead.

    I love "The Kissing Hand" story, too. This was an awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. where did you get your hand cut out?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenny,

    The hand is a plastic cookie cutter that I found at a crafts store several years back. I've even seen metal cookie cutters that have a "double cutter" built in: a hand shape with a center heart cut out for the "kissing hand."

    M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:27 PM

    What website did you find hand cookie cutters?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:34 PM

    My favorite book! My daughter started pre-k this year and we still give each other kissing hands every morning. We are so excited to make these together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:19 PM

    Not familiar with the book or the story of Kissing Hands. Where can I find either or both?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! Audrey Penn is the author of The Kissing Hand: http://www.amazon.com/Kissing-Hand-Paperback-Audrey-Penn/dp/1933718102

    ReplyDelete

As always, thank you for your comments, tips, suggestions and questions!