Sunday, March 06, 2011

The Star Bellied Sneetch is BACK

I haven't blogged in ~forever~, my apologies!

Being a teacher requires that I be a juggler of many things: responsibilities, planned activities and unplanned surprises, instruction, preparation and cleanup.  Sometimes that's a lot of beanbags up in the air at any given time.

Lesson plans, teaching, new students, documentation, student intervention meetings, math adoption, staff meetings, para and aide training, classroom visitors, germs, report cards, trashcan-strategically-carried-in-front-of-a-barfing-student's-face walks to the nurse's office, lounge duty, PLC, and winter-decor-down-to-welcome-spring swifto-change-os on the ol' bulletin boards...

It can be a manic doe-see-doe every few weeks, but never fear, I'm still here. Did you miss me?  I certainly missed sharing with you!

*****
Better late than never (remember, you can file/bookmark this one for next year's Read Across America activities or Dr. Seuss celebrations), here's a quick and easy Star Bellied Sneetch Tee Tutorial.  Sneetch Shirt Numero Uno was lost in the flood, as green marabou (or "foo foo" as my Stars refer to it) silt, mud and flood water did NOT create a flattering fashion statement once everything was laundered and dried.

What you'll need (I purchased all of my materials from Hobby Lobby- make sure to sign up for their coupons because 40% off REALLY helps AND because they don't honor competitors' coupons at this point in time):

Photobucket

Oversized *bright* yellow shirt
Green fabric paint (I tried spray paint but followed up with regular fabric paint in green)
Star stencil (you can also free-hand a star OR create a fabric star and iron it on with fusible webbing)
Green marabou (though white would work well too)
Needle and thread
T-shirt "board" or brown paper bag/cardboard insert so paint doesn't bleed through to back of shirt
Napkins or protective paper



The green foo foo comes in a length long enough to trim the bottom edge of the shirt.  Though Seuss' illustrations show the feathers at the Sneetch's necks, I don't recommend sewing the marabou there because the stuff is VERY fluffy, feathery, and sheds!  Picking foo foo out of your lipgloss or hair all day long isn't fun, trust me on this one.

Use a needle and thread to hand-sew the marabou around the hem of your shirt.  Don't be too precise or picky as you'll have to cut the threads to remove the foo foo before laundering.

Have fun rockin' the teacher fashion!
Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. P.S. how did you make the yellow twisty flower behind you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angie! Our sixth grade buddies made oversized paper sunflowers for us, after they learned to make white snowflakes in December. Here's a link to a video tutorial: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-3D-Paper-Snowflake

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, that is great! What a snazzy idea! I so what to mark this for next year!!!
    Jenea
    www.seedsofnoledge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sneetches! What a great project. And really, shouldn't every day be Dr. Seuss day?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the title. I have a similar poster displayed at my house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wanted to say that I love your blog! It is FULL of great ideas. I wish I could do half of the wonderful things you do in your classroom! What an inspiration you are. I am awarding you the Stylish Blogger Award! Please link back to my blog for the rules and the blog award image!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Because you have inspired my teaching, I've chosen you as a "Sylish Blogger"! Here are the rules:
    1. Thank and link back to the person who awarded you this award.

    2. Share 7 things about yourself.

    3. Award 5 recently discovered great bloggers.

    4. Contact these bloggers and tell them about the award.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suzan and Mrs. S beat me to it!

    I really enjoy your blog and so...
    I'm awarding you the Stylish Blogger Award!
    Just link back to my blog from yours and follow the directions posted there!

    Lisa
    K is for kindergarten
    http://www.iteachkinderkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, what a nice idea.
    Be your own Star ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice idea! I think this makes our little fun!

    ReplyDelete

As always, thank you for your comments, tips, suggestions and questions!