Sunday, October 31, 2010

Teacher, Why Do You Always Paint Our Hands?

It was *the* question of the week!

"Mrs. Sommerville, you're weird.  You painted our hands for autumn trees.  Then you painted our feet for Halloween ghosts.  Now you're painting our hands again for Thanksgiving turkeys.  What color are we going to have to paint our hands (insert eye roll from five-year-old here) for the next holiday?"

Well... uh...

Hmm.

I assure you, I don't *always* paint my students' hands.  Sometimes I let them get sticky in other ways:


Okay, okay, so they painted first, but then they got all goopy painting white glue onto pumpkin templates cut out of old manilla folders.  I added the pipecleaner "vine" onto the pumpkins with a hot glue gun after school.

November means it's time for patchy pumpkins, terrific turkeys, and venerated veterans, so I'll post photos of the finished bulletin board later this week!
Photobucket

To answer my student's question:  brown.  I'll be painting hands (and possibly feet) brown next month.  


So there.

4 comments:

  1. I real love your ideas, but the way you talk about your work, crafts and kids I love a bit more...
    Thanks for the laugh (reminds me my class)
    hugs,
    patchwitch

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pumpkins are beautiful! What a great idea. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea5:50 PM

    Painting hands is one of my favorite activities as well. So it tickled me to hear your story! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for all the great ideas... As far as painting body parts goes, might I suggest, I Ain't Gonna Paint No More! written by Karen Beaumont and illustrated by David Catrow, it is one of my favourite read-alouds.

    ReplyDelete

As always, thank you for your comments, tips, suggestions and questions!