Saturday, April 19, 2008

One of Those "When I Was Your Age..." Moments

I came home from grocery shopping this afternoon to find my daughter watching Jurassic Park on cable. There's not much in the movie that strikes her as....remarkable, probably due to all of the great special-effects in movies she's seen over the years.

My memory of seeing Jurassic Park for the first time... let's just say, it was a thoroughly emotional experience. My daughter's godparents and my mother joined me at the movie theater (my mother drove 100 miles one way, and afterward 100 miles back to see it), and the theater was packed. When the audience saw the first dinosaur, there was a collective (and loud) gasp in the dimmed room, and then many audience members, male and female, began to cry. No, not out of fear (though those raptors certainly scared the heck out of us all later in the film), but because it was the first time we'd ever seen a dinosaur, apparently living, breathing, eating, and chasing after its prey.

Yep, we went from this (and even cheesier dinosaur animation/claymation/stop-motion):




to this:



Our girl is a smart cookie- not ONCE did she say "Wow Mom, you're OLD," though I'm sure she *thought* it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

As always, thank you for your comments, tips, suggestions and questions!