Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Decor, Broccoli, NCLB Reality, Wish List

Though there are a ton of chores on my to-do list today, I had to take a break after the sun made an appearance, filtering some much-appreciated light onto the latest decor changes:







Have I ever told you I can't stand broccoli? *Yuck* to the nth degree, let me tell you. Until, that is...this recipe:

1 bunch of broccoli, raw (I just use the floret/crowns)

1/4 cup onion, sliced/diced

1 cup sunflower seeds

1/2 cup raisins

1/2 cup chopped cooked bacon

1 cup mayo (but you could easily use less)

2 tablespoons vinegar

1/4 cup sugar (or 1/8 cup Splenda, though it says it can be measured the same for the required sugar, I don't care for the aftertaste so I cut it back a bit)

Mix all ingredients well, chill, then munch down to your heart's content. My husband and I never have left overs when I make this salad. Ever. Quite a testament, coming from broccoli-avoiders!



The only thing lately that has made me shudder as much as most other broccoli dishes do would be the latest, thankfully, last, State of the Union Address made by President Bush. Following Thumper's mother's advice ("If you can't say something nice... don't say nothing at all."), I'll just provide some links to some great blogs that are pretty closely aligned to how I'm feeling:

Schools Matter: School Privatization Plan

Schools Matter: Art? Music? Cultures? NCLB?

The Elementary Educator: The Importance of Recess

NCLB In Your Face

*******************************************************

...and on a lighter note, my latest wished-for-items from MacKenzie-Childs:



And pillows:



If I could just get my magic wand to work...

No comments:

Post a Comment

As always, thank you for your comments, tips, suggestions and questions!