Monday, December 03, 2007

Someone Else Got it Right

yay
Funny, with how much I enjoy sharing products, ideas, funnies and treasures with friends and family, I'm always at a loss when it comes to recommending PEOPLE to others, especially when those people promote themselves as a business. I'm not très comfortable *endorsing* what Mentor-Bev called "canned programs," because I've not found any cure-all, be-all, end-all definitive answers out there for early childhood education, but in looking over Nellie Edge's website, I found her "Kindergarten Teaching Philosophy," and let me tell you, this lady got it RIGHT.

"I believe that the kindergarten experience must nurture social-emotional skills in each child and create joyful school memories. Kindergarten is a magical journey and one of my jobs is to develop the imagination and create memorable rituals, traditions and celebrations that honor childhood. I value dramatic play, block building, dance and movement, and the many forms of literacy play. I want children to be active learners and disciplined, creative thinkers; to learn to make good choices and to work cooperatively; and to be kind and responsible.

I believe that young children deserve a multisensory and differentiated literacy program within a joyful, caring community of learners — a child’s garden. Their lives must be valued, celebrated and incorporated into the literacy curriculum so they care about school and develop a love of learning. Authentic, meaningful learning always elicits a SMILE."

Nellie Edge


If you're an administrator confused, frightened or clueless about kindergarten students, a teacher on a kindergarten curriculum writing/review committee, or if you're a new-hire kindergarten teacher, please please please, read Nellie's philosophy. Print it out, think it over, and let it guide you through your daily decision-making. I'll spend some more time looking over her site and list of seminar subjects and recommendations, but her philosophy is something I just had to share NOW, especially considering all of the kindergarten horror stories I've been hearing lately.

Come to think of it, if you're a parent of a child stuck in a kindergarten nightmare, print out the philosophy, take it to your child's teacher and give a copy to the principal. Some people don't know what "right" is until it's stuck to their desks or computer monitors.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:46 PM

    Right on Michaele!!!
    This sounds just like one of the Kindergarten folks we have here at Nordale. She lives this phiosophy amist all the NCLB and our Reading grant. I will print it out and give it to her just to make her day. So miss you here. Say hi to all and love to all at this holiday time. Beanie says hi Hugger Anne. LM

    ReplyDelete

As always, thank you for your comments, tips, suggestions and questions!