Friday, December 07, 2007
Christmas Q and A
1. Egg nog or hot chocolate?
Both, plain for the kids, occasionally spiked for me.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
A little bit of both. Family and friends always wrap presents though, so there's always a festive collage under the tree.
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
White lights for quite a few years now, letting the ornaments have all the color. White lights on the wreaths in the windows. We don't string lights on the outside of the house since 1) it's too much work and 2) we tend to live in *very* windy places, so they would just get blown down anyway.
4. Do you hang mistletoe?
No, maybe I should start. Get more smooches that way from my husband!
5. When do you put your decorations up?
Decor up after Thanksgiving (gradually) but the tree doesn't go up until December 1. Tree goes in the living room, holiday wreaths in front windows, tchotchkes, decor and garlands throughout the house (just look at some of my blog photos!). Daughter has a mini-tree in her room.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
Christmas ham, or cheesy mashed potatoes. Mom's homemade baked bread.
7. Favorite holiday memory as a child?
Driving to see the lights on all the houses, picking out presents for family members at the mall...looking at the Christmas tree and listening to holiday music at home.
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I can't remember specifics, but loved being "in" on the story/truth- it meant *I* could contribute and surprise friends and family....strangers even.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
Yep, but it's always jammies.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
With lots of collected ornaments, white lights, pip berry garlands (this year)...
11. Snow, love it or hate it?
Love it love it love and miss it miss it miss it.
12. Can you ice skate?
Don't know, never tried, though I'm pretty good at sliding across ice in mukluks or boots in the winter!
13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
The dollhouse my mother made for me one Christmas.
14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you?
Letting friends and family know they're remembered, missed, and thought of.
15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?
Cookies, though I love petit fours, yule log cake, etc.
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Decorating the tree and sending out Christmas cards.
17. What tops your tree?
An angel and a large snowflake.
18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving?
Both, the anticipation of seeing friends' and family's reaction to what we've found for them and the surprise of what others have chosen for us.
19. Do you take photos with Santa?
Used to as a child, and have the kids do it each year... but I remember taking photos with "Santa" and Jodi in high school. Still have the photos somewhere- they're a wonderful memory.
20. Candy canes: peppermint, red and white striped. None of those funky flavors please.
21. Favorite Christmas movie?
I have a few.... "Scrooged," "Grinch," "Muppet Christmas Carol," and all of the Rankin Bass "animated" movies (Rudolph, Frosty, Santa Claus is Coming to Town). Though not necessarily Christmas movies, I enjoy "Little Women," "You've Got Mail" and "The Holiday" too.
22. What do you leave for Santa?
Cookies and milk of course!
23. What do you do for others?
We donate annually to childrens' toy and book charities, send gifts and/or cards and newsletters to friends and family, provide tray after tray of cookies for parties, and invite neighborhood kids over to make graham cracker "gingerbread" houses.
24. Favorite Christmas songs/music:
Bing and Bowie's "Little Drummer Boy," Bach's "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring,"
Clint Black's "Under the Mistletoe," and the Muppets singing "The Twelve Days of Christmas" with John Denver.
25. It just wouldn't be Christmas without....
Family, friends, cookies, and Christmas cards from all over the world.