Thursday, July 22, 2010

Up a Creek...

Let's play a game... a version of "I Spy."

Help me find a *paddle*.


Photobucket


See where I'm standing?  Remember that spot.  I spy... a chain link fence.  I spy... a lawn.  I spy, brown wood lattice "railing."  I spy Mrs. Sommerville!  Does anyone see a paddle?  No?  Let's check the next picture.

Photobucket

I spy... the chain link fence again.  And the yard.  Hmmm.... still no paddle.  

Next photo.

Photobucket

Wait a minute... no lawn, no fence, NO PADDLE.  Those are emergency vehicles!  I wonder why they're parked in front of the house...

Let's check the backyard again.... there MUST be a paddle back there:

Photobucket

********~Whoa~**********

No, that *can't* be the back yard from the first photo.... can it?

Photobucket

Uh... brown wood lattice "railing"...  check.  Lawn?  Chain link fence?

As it turns out, we don't have a paddle.  Nor a canoe, kayak, ark, or skiff.

We went from concrete, yard, and chain link fence to flood in fifteen minutes' time.

F-I-F-T-E-E-N minutes.

*****

We're safe.  Dear Husband is on his way home.  Our Army Family responded to our call (so many in under a half hour of the "event"), and helped us salvage what we could into the wee hours after the flood.  So many have come back for the past two days to help us move things, launder clothes.  A good Samaritan saved Dear Husband's truck during the flood itself (it was parked in the rear driveway, which is right next to our backyard, on the same ground level).  Friends, wives, soldiers, saved our wedding quilt, saved my wedding gown, saved so many of our keepsakes.  

Good thing I prepped my classroom early, huh?

*****

I will be "offline" regarding the blog for probably the next two weeks, packing, cleaning, drying, documenting, getting the family re-settled, and giving thanks that we only have small losses over which to complain, and not huge losses to mourn.

Peace and safety to you all.


*****

A passerby took this photo and just sent it to me- this is the view from the road, into our driveway and back yard.  Dear Husband's truck HAD been parked in front of the shed during the flood itself.  This photo shows the water RECEDING (you can see the chain link fence again).

Yep, it was a doozie.

No, that is NOT our beachball.

Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. Oh my. I'm so SO glad you and your family are safe! I can't believe that was 15 minutes! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a remarkable adventure. I have a river behind my house that floods like that more times than I can count but we expect it. And it never comes up THAT FAST!! Glad you are all safe and sound. My heart goes out to all of you with special prayers for your deployed husband who has never felt farther away or more helpless as a husband and father.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Cow! That. Is. Incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:47 PM

    Gosh, Big Girl! What an experience you and grandkids have had! So happy all are safe. Grateful hubby allowed to come home to help in your cleanup work. And grateful so many people are helping you all clean up your house and stuffs.
    G-kids have a storey each to tell now, big-time!
    Tell helpers thank you for helping you from me. Grateful you have many good people, friends with you!!
    Thanks. Bye.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Has the water level gone down as yet? Keep us updated!!! May the Lord be with you!!!

    ~Early Childcare Resources
    http://ecrp.1om.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Connie11:37 PM

    Oh. My. Goodness.
    Thank goodness for the caring people around you. You and your family are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so scary- I'm glad everyone is okay and they're letting your husband come home. I'll be keeping your family in my prayers as you dry out & clean up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes! I am glad your family is ok. I'll be thinking of you as school begins...your blog has inspired me as a return to the Kindergarten classroom after a few years in PreK. {}

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8:15 AM

    So sorry to hear. Take care. - mary c.

    ReplyDelete

As always, thank you for your comments, tips, suggestions and questions!