Saturday, May 29, 2010

Summer Vacation: Day 1

It's Day 1 of summer vacation.  While relieved to be free of lesson plans, instruction, transitioning centers and assessments, I'm still in that go, go, GO mode.  Case in point:  yesterday evening I let McDonald's make dinner, and as soon as I was home and the kids were fed and settled, I read through the latest Charlaine Harris novel... in one sitting.

I woke up and had no problem savoring each sip of coffee while the Five-Year-Old ate pancakes and played (our usual Saturday routine), but once I snuck a peek at the clock, my internal schedule kicked in, and so did my inner monologue:

Whoa, I need to figure out my cell phone.  Get the pictures off of it and into my computer. Upload music files so I can have a decent ringer instead of this Lord-of-the-Dance sounding jingler.  


Have I started a load of laundry yet?  No?  Uh, HAVE TO GET THAT STARTED PRONTO.


Here we go, emailing photos to everyone.  Because I promised I would.


I need another cup of coffee.


Clean the kitchen... can't stand a dirty kitchen.  


I *know* I'm forgetting something.  Should have written it down.  What time is it?  Hey, my students would be at centers right now.


... and so it went all morning long.  Trying to break that particular rhythm, I figured I'd sneak some sun time in, and put on the bathing suit and took a towel with me to the porch.  What did I do?  I looked at the clock as I walked out the door and realized it's recess time!


Enough already.

Or it's time to hide the watches and cover the clocks for a few days.

Does anyone else go through this at the end of each school year?

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. yes! all the time! I find the first few weeks of summer vacation unsettling, as if I should be doing something better with my time. I do settle in at some point, and then the summer flies by, but by the end of August I'm ready to be back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness, it's not just me! Lisa, it used to be that I stayed on my school schedule all summer long, only sleeping in the last two weekends before it was time to head back to the classroom.... **SO** not fair! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:45 PM

    I've been up before 6 ever since we got out of school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have 4 more weeks of teaching :)
    When summer finally comes, I'll spend the first few weeks working my butt off -- doing everything that I wanted to do throughout the school year. Then I'll spend a lot of time doing nothing and stressing feeling guilty about it. Then I'll spend a few weeks getting ready for next year. I'm tired already just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete

As always, thank you for your comments, tips, suggestions and questions!