Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Eskimos in Oz

No, Eskimos are not indigenous to Oz (though Arapeho, Kansa, Comanche, Kiowa, Osage and Pawnee are, with many other Native Americans moved to the area in compliance with treaties, with still others forcibly relocated to the heartland), but since my students were curious about my cultural heritage as we learned about family, traditions and celebrations in November and December, I thought they'd enjoy making their own Eskimo characters for a January hallway display: "We'll frolic and play, the Eskimo way, walking in a winter wonderland..."



My students learned about parkas, mukluks, mittens, and fur ruffs, then colored their own characters, decorating the parka's qupaks (fancy trim or embellishments), and gluing cotton balls around the coat hood. I left the trees up from December's display as background, and added white streamer runs of "snow" upon which the Eskimos could play:







Aarigaa! Good job, Super Stars!

*****

3 comments:

  1. Good job to you, too! Your Eskimoes are adorable! Can we find the patterns online? Many thanks, Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana, thanks for visiting! I've posted a Show and Share offering today regarding the pattern- check out my newest post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your inuits, i made them too i like your hood cotton parka, mine can be seen on my blogspot, become a follower, I would love to see more of your fun class.

    ReplyDelete

As always, thank you for your comments, tips, suggestions and questions!