Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Resting Today

Today I am recovering from the creeping crud (anti-biotics are *good*), almost finished with the fourth book in the Twilight series (it's taken me a week and a half to read them all), and am still moved to grateful tears when I hear the following echoing in my mind:

"I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Dear Daughter didn't understand why my husband and I woke her up late last night to watch Barack Obama's speech~ not because she might be dabbling in the "clueless teenager" role, but because she's been surrounded by diversity her entire life. "Why wouldn't an African American be elected president?" She's been so fortunate, and perhaps because of our lifestyle and family choices, she won't be able to understand the significance of the milestone our country reached last night.

No matter how you voted, or who you voted for, we have a new president, a new direction, and some new goals. I will be avoiding the "news" for the next few months, not because I desire to be ill-informed, but because I'm guessing there will be little information truly noteworthy enough for my attention. Months of bickering, of fear, of deceptions, of "spin" have taken their toll on me.

I won't be patient with whiners or complainers either. The election is over.

I want to see what our next President can, and *will* do. And I'm willing to wait a few months to see if he's on the right track. I respect the office. I respect the effort. I know what a great nation this is.

My vote counted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As always, thank you for your comments, tips, suggestions and questions!