Thursday, February 14, 2008

Show and Share Thursday: Happy Hearts



Happy Valentine's Day to you!

Hearts, flowers, candy, cards, romantic emails, delicious you-don't-have-to-cook-or-clean-up-afterward meals... it's all good in my mind. I'm missing making those valentine mailboxes this year as I'm not teaching. Empty shoe boxes, covered with bright paper, decorated to the hilt with doilies, stickers, glitter, lace, sparkles, and students' names...Valentine's is actually my favorite holiday to observe in school each year. My kindergartners so enjoy delivering special cards and treats to their classmates, and every child loves opening his or her "mailbox" to see all the illustrated, names-neatly-written expressions of friendship- if they are accompanied by a new pencil or lollipop, or even those little message hearts, all the better! Wearing my sparkly heart jewelry to work, no matter how gaudy, is a *must*, though my husband and kids prefer being seen with me in public in less over-the-top accessories.



Daughter will be delivering her goodies and cards to friends today, Toddler will enjoy his Valentine jelly beans, I'm sure (though the vacuum will certainly eat its fair share of them during naptime), and hopefully Husband will like the motorcycle book the kids picked out for him. I'll finish off the chocolate covered strawberries and stop to smell the roses (thank you Honey) as I pack for my trip, and then try to figure out what we're doing for dinner (did I mention the no cook/no clean preference?). But before that, here is my list of "loves:"

~Family, of course. Perhaps mine is non-traditional, but it's our own permutation of affection, care, concern, and involvement, spread out over the miles. It grows, it changes, it evolves, and it endures.

~ Friends, because they are my chosen family. Each knows me in his or her own way, knows how far I've come, and is looking forward to finding out (or acting as partner-in-crime to) what new adventures await me. Yes, I even have friends who would help me hide the body if it ever came to that!

~ Vera Bradley placemats and tablecloths. Why? Yes, the colors and patterns are vibrant, wonderfully seasonal, and thankfully, machine washable. I love using them to set our family's dining table daily, and for the first time in over a year, we've all eaten together, nightly. Deployments will do that to a military family. I can't tell you how much it means to me that we can all sit and eat together.

~ Random acts of kindness.

~ Full-on hugs. No air kisses or ooh-don't wrinkle-me requests here!

~ Discovering new music. I'm reading This is Your Brain on Music to find out why (it's a GOOD READ!).

~ Being a "maker." I enjoy crocheting, cooking, baking, decorating, and doing other crafts. While I'm happy to find treasures and purchase them, it makes me feel good to know that I can put my own tastes,wishes, and skills into making things for my family and friends for truly personal expression.

~ Treasure hunting in flea markets, vintage shops or antique stores. Isn't it recycling? Adopting what was once used elsewhere, by some other person? Some of my treasures beg to be rescued and taken care of, like heirloom Russian icons, old china, and books. Why buy new when you can find something with personality, character, and experience? Items that have a story to guess, tell, or imagine have strong appeal to me.

~Candid photos of family and friends. Posed can be nice, but candid is so much more memory-inducing.

~Silly girlfriend chats, generating cry-your-eyes-out-hoarse-voice-oh-my-goodness-I'm-going-to-pee-my-pants euphoria.

~The freedom to express myself, which I don't take for granted.

*************************************************************************

Link Time!

* Seeking Everyday Beauty & Velvet Strawberries shares her beautiful heart collection

* Mamacita at Scheiss Weekly shares the story of Cupid and Psyche

* Terri Terri Quite Contrary tries to help Mars understand Venus for year-round harmony

* Bent Objects gives us a sweet moment that will probably keep me from eating any chocolates received today (no, no, it's not bad- in fact, it's....SWEET!)

***********************************************************************

I'll be out of the loop and away from the computer until next Monday or Tuesday. If I find the time and inspiration, I'll post some more here today to tide you over, if not, I look forward to touching base with you again in a few days! Have a terrific weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so very much for your kind mention and link! I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the sweet comments you left at my blog...Happy Valentine's Day to you and all of your sweet students!!!
    xxxooo Ruth

    ReplyDelete

As always, thank you for your comments, tips, suggestions and questions!