Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Flow

Watching and listening to TED Talks periodically does (for me) exactly what Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi discusses in his presentation about creativity, fulfillment and flow. Feeling re-energized, interested, engaged, and motivated is how I know I'm in the "flow" state- my challenges are higher, and I'm pushed to increase my skill level... or my skills are high, and I'm ready to challenge myself. It's a state that in my case, doesn't usually occur out of necessity for my home life or my employment. It's a state I enjoy for myself, and what I mean to express when I describe myself as a "lifelong learner." When I learn, integrate new knowledge and use it, it's rarely if ever a dull series of events for me.

The talk is slow going at first, but if you're interested in creativity, that automatic, spontaneous rush (ecstasy), this man is worth listening to:



*****
As a teacher, the quote by Masaru Ibuka struck a nerve as I reflect back on how many teachers, including myself, have felt about teaching since NCLB's mandates. Mr. Ibuka's goal, his mission, when co-creating Sony was:
To establish a place of work where engineers can feel the joy of technological innovation, be aware of their mission to society, and work to their heart's content.

How many educators today feel something akin to his focus when they enter the classroom each morning?

Not many.

More importantly, how many students find their schools this supportive and empowering as they are introduced to new information and skills, develop those skills and expand their learning techniques, and are immersed in a culture of knowledge that will hopefully, one day, enable them to create?

The answer:

Not enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As always, thank you for your comments, tips, suggestions and questions!